Thursday, September 8, 2011

Kids Are Like Wine, They Get Better With Age


No doubt he was cute. All 6lbs 14 ounces of him. He could fit from the nape of my neck to the top of my pubic bone and I could easily brush my lips against his warm, feathery head. And he would cry lots, and barely sleep but he was beautiful. And I thought, this is all there is.

Then he got older and he would stay up late and make all the ladies smile at wedding receptions. He would sleep more which some how made him infinitely more delightful and he would smile his smile and I'd swoon. I couldn't help it.



Then he was doing so many things. Sleeping for one thing. He rarely, if ever woke during the night and he started walking and making sounds and climbing into the dishwasher and clothes dryer (well, I may have put him there but he loved it)! I adored watching him pull things from drawers and cupboards,and removing rubber door stops with his teeth. He's so clever, that one.



And then, it just got better and better with trips to Heritage Park, and play dates with friends and blowing unsolicited kisses. And I thought, wow, maybe he does love me. He even began to cuddle. Sitting long enough for me to be reminded of the early days. He was heavier and he didn't fit my torso but he was still all mine.



And now he's so big. He throws shoes at my head when angry and says sorry when he throws his train. He gives directions from the back seat while I drive and he insists I change my clothes if he doesn't like them. He yells, "Red stop!!" at red lights and "Green Go" at green lights. He laughs when cartoons fall down and when he pushes his trains off his bed. He is concerned when babies cry and he starts making a whimpering sound when Clifford the Big Red Dog is sad. He pedals his tricycle while yelling, "fast!! fast!!!" and he runs. Oh how he runs. I'm not sure if he can actually walk because everywhere we go he runs the same hop/skip, gallop sort of run that makes me wish I could freeze him as he is right now.

And I can say that since his birth the taste of him has become deeper and more full. It is tangy and sweet with the occasional, but rare, bitter residue and I can say that I've always loved him but I can also say that I love him even more now. Yes indeed, my kid gets better and better with age.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love that brand new pic of him. For a second I thought it was baby girl! I like the new things he is doing. Nonni are going to love the traffic light one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're also going to love how he keeps saying "nonno, nonni buy fire truck choo choo".

    ReplyDelete